Friday 4 January 2019

writers block

I have once again allowed the blog to lapse. It is a new year and I will take the opportunity to invest new energy into this worthwhile project.


I have not been writing but I have been very busy with the hobby, gaming, painting, shopping and building terrain. This week we played a six man game of Command and Colors Ancients using the Epic rules. The Scenario was Ilipa in which Scipio's Republican Romans took on Hasdrubal's Carthaginians in Spain 206 BC.


I was able to show off my newly minted, purpose built game mat. 9x26 four inch hexes painted onto a heavy canvas drop sheet. I was inspired by the material and painting Ross McFarlane of https://gameofmonth.blogspot.com/ for his European gaming mat. I wanted one for the ancient world and one that shared the look of the C&C game board and this is what I came up with.


I build a template to put the hexes on and that was the most painstaking part but well worth it. I had a test battle with e Zama scenario as seen below. I am working on refurbishing a Persian and Greek armies. These will be based to match the battle map. I am thinking this will be the game I take to Huzzah this year. Stay tuned for me or this plan.









5 comments:

  1. The effect of disruption on the cloth is superb, very 3D looking, does that make the hexes harder to see?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, having played on it recently, the hex grid is light enough to not overwhelm the scenery but clear enough that with 6 players and a ton of troops on table, I never had more than a fraction of a second's hesitation about which hex a unit was in or when calculating ranges or distances.

      It may have helped that the units pretty much fill a hex.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Norm. I made the hexes as discrete as possible so they are intentionally a little hard to see. They are best demonstrated on the second photo from the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, I can't believe neither of us took any pictures of last weekend's game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I will have to do a re enactment and photograph it.

      Delete