Friday 25 January 2019

Greeks at Marathon

Having completed my Persian Army, I was glad to see the arrival of a fresh set of laser cut bases in the mail. I had purchased a venerable set of Greeks in 25mm scale last year and was glad to have a historical and similarly sized opponent to oppose them. These were from the same collection of veteran wargamer Ross MacFarlane and required a similar process to prepare for rebasing. The pictures do not do the figures justice. The shields are excellently painted and the bronze metallic looks great.

10 units of Greek Hoplites




1) Remove from the old base - keep bandaids handy for this step!
2) Remove dust with damp brush and compressed air
3) Add missing heads arms and weapons as required - this was easier than with the Persians as they were in better condition over all.
4) Remove old flock from figure bases and repaint in suitable desert color
5) Sort by unit, matching poses as seemed pleasing
6) Mount to new bases, sand, flock and seal

Allied troops or Thureophoroi - in the back are 28mm figures also refurbished from another players collection
Companion Cavalry - I have only one unit of 25mm cavalry and have refurbished some 28mm Companions form a collection purchased long ago. I am glad to have found a use for them after many years. The scale difference is especially noticeable with cavalry. These are for the Macedonian army.
 Greek light cavalry
Greek Horse Archers - these are also from an older collection and were of a smaller size, so pressed into service of the Greek army.
Greek Medium or Heavy Cavalry
Peltasts
Greek Archers





I am now the proud owner of a Greek army ready for the table top. I missed the joy of painting them myself but at the same time I did not miss it.

I plan to run the Battle of Marathon with Command and Colors with the map below. Stay tuned for that battle report...

4 comments:

  1. This is a fine collection - well done! May I ask where you got the terrain mat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. The terrain mat was home made. Details are at https://armchaircommander.blogspot.com/2019/01/writers-block.html

      Delete
  2. Nice to see the lads ready for action with a battle to go to. They had been getting restless on the shelf, rattling spears against shields and chanting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I meant to say, I should probably have mentioned that they were glued to their bases with white glue so an hour standing in enough water to just cover the bases would have allowed their safe removal without risk to fingers or figures.

      Delete