Wednesday 23 January 2019

Persian Army 490 BC


 I was a proud recipient of an army donated to me by fellow wargamer and blogger Ross MacFarlane
 ( battlegameofmonth.blogspot.com ). The Persians I am told date back decades. No doubt they are veterans of many battles and I have faced them across the table on more than one occasion. Ross is in the process of paring down his collection while I remain an avid collector.

Persians under Ross' command at my place 10 years ago


Persian Line from 10 years ago

I am not sure of the figures manufacturer. They are true 25mm so they do not scale up well with the bulk of my collection. Happily, I had acquired a 25mm Greek army to oppose my new Persians but more on them in a later post.



I have always wanted an Eastern army. I have dabbled in Turks, Arabs, Saracens and the like but never splashed for the whole army. I found some good motivation for refurbishing and rebasing my gift into a fighting force fit for my preferred game systems. The more figures on the base, the heavier the formation. I purchased many 2x4" bases from Litko for this project. Expensive but I saved a bundle already on the figures so I felt justified in the expense.

 4 Immortals/Guards - 10 men to base
 6 Sparabara - 10 men to a base


I built the army to be able to play over a 200 year stretch of time. They are best suited to earlier Persians but they tend to lack the fun elephants and scythed chariots so I am suspending belief when my Sparabara represent Takabara or Levies.

These archers were donated to me by a friendly gent at my last visit to Huzzah. I found a home for them as a contingent of archers in the Imperial Persian Army. I think they are 7th century Arabs but I think they look the part. There were a few unpainted archers in the pile but they looked Egyptian or Babylonian. I got as far as cleaning them up and priming them before cooler heads prevailed and I went with the already painted Arabs. Skirmisher have six figures to a base.
The Persians had many light troops as skirmishers and here are javelin and sling armed troops. I had to remove most of the figures from previous bases. I had to reattach weapons arms and heads on many of the figures. They also had a good amount of dust on them, attesting to their venerable age. This I cleaned up with a soft dry brush and an air compressor.
The Persians were renowned for their numerous and excellent cavalry. Ross' collection was well supplied. I took what I needed to complete my order of battle and still have many cavalry figures left over. 
2 Guard Heavy and Cataphract Cavalry - 5 to a base
I based the models on 3mm plywood bases. I loaded up the base with PVA glue, added the figures and then sanded the base. I mixed three different kinds of sand to give different sizes to it. I went for a desert look to match my new game mat. I added a yellow grass flock as well as a green flock in spots for contrast. Finished with a matte varnish.
4 Medium Cavalry - 4 to a base
These models are unique in that not only do you have to clue on weapons, you also have to assemble heads and arms to bodies. I spent time cursing this process and can only imagine what the original builder went through to get them to stay together. It would have been less frustrating if I wasn't doing the whole project in one go.
4 Horse Archers - 3 to a base
4 Skirmish Cavalry
A highlight of the project was getting the funnies ready. There were some beautiful chariots and elephants in the collection. They required minimal work as I did not need to rebase them. The biggest job was getting into the cracks to remove dust.

Ellies - two are manned with Sassanid crews
The army was built with the goal of fighting the scenario for Gaugamela 331 BC against Alexander's Macedonians. I have managed to run the game 4 times and have tweaked the scenario to balance it as best I can. Ready to take to Huzzah in May.


 Brave Commanders

All told about 200 infantry and 50 cavalry. Next up Greeks and Macedonians!







8 comments:

  1. Jeff I faced and beat those Persians in the early 1980s! They are solid veterans and I’m glad that they’ve gone to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then their pedigree is confirmed. I am enjoying seeing them on the tabletop.

      Delete
    2. Beat? Your Spartans? hmm ... might have happened once or twice, the court poet didn't make up songs about every battle......

      Delete
  2. You have acquired a nice collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice gift from Ross and good to see that are still up for table time. I prefer 'proper' 25's and think for wargaming purposes, we lost something by the modern trend in growing the scale to 28mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am used to the 28s but appreciate these 25s. I have looked and 25s are still available but not with a good selection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see the guys ready to rumble.

    The multi-part figures are from RAFM in Ontario. Still available. They also sell separate head and weapon packs.
    RAFM Hellenistic

    ReplyDelete