Saturday 2 June 2018

The Road Less Travelled

I started a new terrain project on Monday. I bought some paint spill canvas 15x12, acrylic caulking and some paint. I want to paint a game mat blatantly stealing the method used by Ross at battlegameofthemonth blog. I also wanted to make some flexible roads that were bigger scale and more modern then the ones I have.


I put the caulk in a bucket and added grey craft paint and water. I smeared this in a 4x3 hunk of canvas. I let it set for about 4 hours and then rolled a textured rolling pin over the top to give it a cobblestone look. In hind sight, I should have let it set longer but it was bed time and I did not want it to set overnight I let this set for another two days. I cut them into 4"x12" strips with one 4 way stop 12"x12". I did not do any curves for simplicity and because at that scale, it is not unreasonable to have a straight stretch of road. I then painted with light grey and white highlights. A wash of black/brown was added and the edging received some flock. I gave them a seal coat of water down PVA to hold everything in place. Pictures are fuzzy but I am very happy with the results.




I may get to host a game at our local game day con in a week. Next post may include a newly minted game mat for the occasion.

9 comments:

  1. Those are really nice and fit a hard-to-fill niche. Hope to see them in a future game report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. I hope to use them this weekend

      Delete
  2. The textured rolling pin is a good idea, though there must come a point when the acrylic has cured too much to allow that, looks like you found the sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a modestly successful experiment

      Delete
  3. The cobblestones look good! I'm always impressed by people who can get caulking to do what its told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diplomacy and negotiation were keys to success

      Delete
  4. Very clever and effective use of a textured rolling pin, which I have never heard of before today (!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always impressed by people who can get caulking to do what its told.


    shareit install
    shareit
    shareit download
    shareit app

    ReplyDelete